The fun and fascinating discoveries do not run out in Rio de Janeiro. With so many amazing sights and things to do — think beaches and the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue to name a few, you can explore to your heart’s content without breaking the bank. Here are some of the best free or cheap things to do in Rio de Janeiro.
1. Visit the CCBB (Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil Rio de Janeiro) to admire its beautiful architecture, explore its art galleries, and see the art exhibitions.
2. Venture off the beaten path to enjoy the beautiful scenery at Parque Lage. From there, you can take a scenic hike to the peak of Corcovado and marvel at the statue Christ the Redeemer.
3. Watch the awe-inspiring sunset at Arpoador Rock.
4. Ride a quaint tram and wander around the picturesque hilltop neighborhood of Santa Teresa. Take the time to notice the architecture and the many interesting sights in the area. Make sure not to leave without sampling a traditional dish in one of the neighborhood’s restaurants. ‘
5. Check out the happenings at the São Salvador Square. Join the locals to enjoy and experience the wide array of free events — from arts and crafts fair to samba and so much more in between, you can expect plenty of interesting things going on in this spot of fun in the city.
6. Get lost in the quiet splendor of Jardim Botânico. See the Botanical Garden’s beautiful attractions including the Orchidarium, Japanese Gardens, and Sensory Garden. Not to mention the myriad of lovely exotic flowers and plant life as well as the wildlife that calls this vast garden their home.